  • Subject: Re: [ferns] JAPANESE PAINTED LADY FERN
  • From: Johnscott302@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:06:07 EDT

Research on Japanese painted lady  fern.
To date, my living  collection of Japanese pained lady  ferns numbers 36.
They come in many  sizes b 6 inches to 37  inches.
Either green or many shades of purple to  grayish  purple.
Normal or crested.
Not all are named.
Some are  hybrids supposedly with the southern lady fern,  Athyrium
filix-femina  v. asplenioides.
In preparation of a paper on the subject, I earnestly   request any
information / experience that you have with these interesting  and  variable
ferns. Most
important is establishing the hardiness  range of the  different varieties.
Niponicum obviously grows in New  England but the range map  for southern
fern runs diagonally  across Pennsylvania from somewhere south  of Erie in
west to  somewhere north of Philadelphia in the east. Different   references
Please send me info on any varieties that you  are  growing and any info than
is on the label.
Also include your lat. / long.  or 5 digit zip code. I  would really like to
generate a range map for  every named variety but that would  require the
of lots of  people. Please participate.
Not all are named, but here is a list of the  named  ones.
01     bAthyrium  niponicum  bPictumb:
04 bBranford Ramblerb
05 bBranford  Beautyb
06 bUrsula's  Redb
07 bBurgundy Laceb
08 bRed Beautyb
09 bSamurai Swordb
10  bPewter Laceb
11 bKoreab
20 bcristata(um) metallicum flabellatumb
23  bmetallicumb  crested
24 bcristalo falbellipinnulumb
25 bSoul  Mateb
26 bApplecourtb