Re: Ants

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Ants
  • From: "Judith I Jones" judith@fancyfronds.com
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:46:47 -0700

Hello Jim,
    The northwestern horticultural industry has been equally affected by the
pests that have struck the CA horticultural industry.  European brown snails
and thrips have moved north on infected CA nursery stock in great numbers
over the past three decades I have been in business.
    Many concerned small nusery owners tried to get our WA State Dept of
Agriculture aware of the SOD problem developing in CA four years ago.   We
were told not to worry that SOD would never be a problem for us and the
large growers would "police themselves".  Unfortunately we were correct in
our concerns and now we have been impacted by additonal regulations even if
we do not grow any of the Appendix I or II SOD carriers.
    The only fern listed on the last update from WA State had Dryopteris
arguta on the Appendix II list.  Do you know if any of the other ferns in CA
have been tested and what their status is?  If there is any information
about the testing on Dryopteris arguta I would be most interested in that.
Please reply to Judith@fancyfronds.com.
Judith I. Jones