Filmy ferns and wardian cases

  • Subject: [ferns] Filmy ferns and wardian cases
  • From: "John Hawkins" john.hawkins@blechnum.net
  • Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 19:26:02 -0100

I've had what looks suspiciously like a filmy fern appear in in one of my older gametophyte pots. I sowed the pot over four years ago with mixed filmy fern spore I had collected just over a week previously on one of my trips to New Zealand ( where I grew up ). The pot lives in a plastic bag and this is the first sporeling from that sowing that has a filmy fern look about it. The bush on my parents' farm was carpeted with various filmy ferns, so I'd like to think I've a reasonable chance of being able to recognise one when I see it.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to deal with filmy ferns? The humidity here in Sweden is far too low most of the time, so I'm considering setting up a Wardian Case using a small aquarium to house the fern. I've got a coolish corner under some stairs and a short distance from a window on the shady side of the house lined up for the case. A small leafy liverwort has appeared in the same pot, so that'll probably end up there as well. I am a bit worried about mold, is there anything else I should be watching out for?

The fern seems quite happy where it is, so I'm not going to rush things - it only needs one failure to wipe out my entire stock of the fern.

cheers, John.