Re: Re: Filmy ferns and wardian cases

I have had remarkably good results getting filmy ferns to live in small
and big containers. I use a soilless mix for the medium. I may add some
charcoal or not and I keep it closed by using a good quality of Saran
wrap. The lighter weight sarans have a far greater air exchange and the
terrariums seemed to dry out very fast, ie. death. I use Saran so I can
dampen the outer surface and press the Saran onto the wet area to make a
seal keeping the moisture in. I put the containers either under lights
or on a window ledge. I try to not let the containers be in a situation
where the heat builds up like in a greenhouse, ie. avoid direct sun if
possible. I have done this for years using round fish bowls and regular
aquariums. I prefer a glass surface to a plastic because the Suran
sticks and seals better. A mister bottle is a good way to water. I have
some I have not opened for years and others tend to need water from time
to time. You can also use good closing zip-lock bags when desperate.

Good luck. Betsy