Re: Filmy ferns and wardian cases

  • Subject: [ferns] Re: Filmy ferns and wardian cases
  • From: "Brian Swale" bj@caverock.net.nz
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:58:08 +1200

Hello all

In thinking about it, one caution I would make with regard to irrigating any
plant with a hand-held spray mist or the like, is that it should be done to the
point of run-off and more, so that accumulated salts on the fronds will be
dissolved and washed off.

Tap water usually contains dissolved salts to a degree not found in rainwater.

While I can't actually name any salts found in water that I know are harmful
to foliage, especially the thin filmy fern fronds, I would do this as a
precautionary measure.

Brian