Re: Re: Filmy ferns and wardian cases

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Re: Filmy ferns and wardian cases
  • From: "John Hawkins" john.hawkins@blechnum.net
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:44:30 -0100

Thanks for your comments, Betsy and Brian. I kept filmy ferns in clear plastic containers in my early and mid-teens, on the window sill of my bedroom ( a boarded-up porch on the shady side of the house - not particularly comfortable, but it was my patch and great for my fern experiments ). I think that most lasted two to three years before mold took over.

I have a few aquariums and Brian's comment about regular spraying has got me wondering if I might use an air pump, air stone and a small pond of rainwater in the bottom of a large glass jar ( or even a small aquarium ), to create enough splash to clean the fronds of ferns growing beside or above the pond. It would be easy to regulate using a timer and I should be able to get away with siphoning out the water at intervals and replacing it with new rainwater.

We had a small stand of regrowth Totora on the home farm, and there were filmy ferns growing on many of the trunks of the trees. These dried out completely on a regular basis, but quickly revived once it rained again. It would have been an interesting species to cultivate. It was a different situation on the farm we had at the head the valley - with an annual rainfall >3000m and low cloud much of the rest of the time, the bush was heaving with filmy ferns.