Re: What fertilizer?

Hello Phillip,

I actually do not grow tropical or frost intolerant ferns. My "heated greenhouse" drops to the mid 20's in the winter so the frequency and type of fertilizer that I use for cold tolerant ferns that rest during the winter is a bit different than what ferns that are growing year round need. You might check out the informational websites for the International Los Angeles Fern Society and the San Diego Fern Society. They will be able to answer your questions about fertilizers for indoor growing as well as the care for Platyceriium or staghorn ferns. I would imagine that the staghorn drops a frond every so often as the frond ages and is no longer functional. Most evergreen ferns outside drop their fronds as the new fronds emerge but evergreen ferns in mild climates seem to lose a few fronds at irregular intervals.

Judith I. Jones

phillip youngman wrote:

I would appreciate information on what fertilizer to use on indoor tropical ferns (also frequency). I have been using fish emulsion about once a month.
Also would like to know why my staghorn drops a frond once in a while. Phillip