Re: What fertilizer?

Thanks Judith,

  Phillip

Judith Jones <judith@fancyfronds.com> wrote:
  Hello Phillip,

I actually do not grow tropical or frost intolerant ferns. My
"heated greenhouse" drops to the mid 20's in the winter so the frequency
and type of fertilizer that I use for cold tolerant ferns that rest
during the winter is a bit different than what ferns that are growing
year round need. You might check out the informational websites for the
International Los Angeles Fern Society and the San Diego Fern Society.
They will be able to answer your questions about fertilizers for indoor
growing as well as the care for Platyceriium or staghorn ferns. I would
imagine that the staghorn drops a frond every so often as the frond ages
and is no longer functional. Most evergreen ferns outside drop their
fronds as the new fronds emerge but evergreen ferns in mild climates
seem to lose a few fronds at irregular intervals.

Judith I. Jones