Re: ferns ( M. punctatum )

  • Subject: [ferns] Re: ferns ( M. punctatum )
  • From: "Brian Swale" bj@caverock.net.nz
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:02:49 +1200

Hi all,

According to my information, M. musifolium and others (below) are
synonyms of M. punctatum, and the distribution of that species is as follows:

Also. M. pustulatum, M. novae-zealandiae, and M. scandens are not
subtropical, though it does seem that most species of the genus are indeed
so.

 Brian Swale

Microsorum punctatum (L.) Copel.; Orient. Gen. Polyp. in Univ. Calif. Publ.
Bot. 16: 110 (1929)
Zaire, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi,
                Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbambwe, Mozambique, Congo,
Gabon, Bioko Isl. (Fernando Poo),
                Guinea, Sierra Leone, Ivory Coast, Central African Republic,
Ghana, Cameroun, Equatorial
                Guinea, Annobon Isl., Gabon, Angola, Ethiopia, Madagascar,
Comores, Seychelles, Mauritius,
                Riunion, Zanzibar, Pemba Isl., Principe Isl., Sao Tomi, New
Caledonia, Vanuatu, Fiji (Viti
                Levu, Vanua Levu, Ovalau, Taveuni), ?Samoa, ?Tonga, Southern
Marianas (Guam, Rota Isl.,
                Saipan), Northern Marianas (Sarigan), Micronesia (Truk), Palau
Isl. (Babeldoab, Angaur), Society
                Isl. (Tahiti, Maupiti, etc.), China (Guangdong, Guangxi, Guizhou,
Hainan), Taiwan, India (S-India,
                Assam), Andamans, Nicobars, Sri Lanka, Indochina, Thailand,
Vietnam, peninsular Malaysia,
                Sumatra, Java, Lesser Sunda Isl., Sulawesi, Philippines,
Moluccas, Burma, Borneo (Mt. Kinabalu
                etc.), Christmas Isl. (Austr.), Australia (E-Queensland), Kei Isl.,
New Guinea (Papua New Guinea,
                West Irian), Bougainville, Solomons, New Ireland
                Trivial names: Climbing Bird's Nest

Microsorum musifolium (Bl.) Copel.; Univ. Calif. Publ. Bot. 16. 111-116 (1929)
Pleopeltis musifolia Moore; Ind. LXXVIII (1857)
Polypodium musifolium Bl.; Enum. 134 (1828)