Re: Japanese Painted Ferns

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Japanese Painted Ferns
  • From: "Judith I Jones" judith@fancyfronds.com
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:17:08 -0700

Hello Ralph,
    Thank you for posting your observations on Athryium niponicum 'Pictum'
and its variability not only from spores but in various cultural conditions.
Since I grow my the bulk of my crops in greenhouses under similiar and ideal
conditions I only see a smaller percentage of difference than you  have
observed.
    The commercial growers naming all these various "clones" defend their
selections as being valuable from the aspect of reliable color in a
population.  Obviously from your experience as well as mine this is not a
guarantee that the tissue cultured plants will produce a uniform crop under
different environments.
     Terra Nova has asked me to grow on some of their named 'Pictums' and
re-named Victorian filix-femina cultivars to evaluate.  I don't have
greenhouse space to do this on a large scale but even some test growing may
porve that these populations can be almost as variable as spore grown
populations.
Judith I. Jones