Fern ID query relating to a fern for sale in the Netherlands

  • Subject: [ferns] Fern ID query relating to a fern for sale in the Netherlands
  • From: "Brian Swale" <bj@caverock.net.nz>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:00:01 +1300

Hello all

This week I had a query from Scandinavia, as follows;

> Last week I buy a fern from a Garden Center. An Antenna Fern (Doryopteris
> cordata) (They spell it Doriopteris c.). At www.vivaria.nl I saw it.

So I visited vivaria.nl, and sure enough, there it is in their on-line catalogue.

So I asked them what is the REAL name for this fern, and the name they
use does not appear in the fern literature. ( I did a lot of checking, so even if I
am wrong, the name is difficult to find).

This is their reply
> From:           	"Vivaria" <info@vivaria.nl>
> To:             	<bj@caverock.net.nz>
> Subject:        	RE: Doriopteris cordata - Antenna Fern
> Date sent:      	Sun, 5 Dec 2004 14:47:44 +0100
> Hi, Brian,
> Sorry but that is the name on the card of the breeder,
> Kind regards,
> Peter Velthuyzen
> Vivaria Projects

Which says to me that he is not prepared to take the matter further. The
images at vivaria.nl give a slight impression of the fern.

Who has experience of this fern?

Brian Swale