Re: Fern ID query relating to a fern for sale in the Netherlands

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Fern ID query relating to a fern for sale in the Netherlands
  • From: "Brian Aikins" <brcazagrps@comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 23:26:13 -0800

It is definitely not D. cordifolia, which has ovate sterile fronds that are undivided, and hastate to tripartite fertile fronds (per Christensen's Pteridophyta of Madagascar). I agree it is most likely D. pilosa as described in Burrows' with sterile fronds having rounded overlapping lobes and fertile fronds that are tall, bi-tripinnate, and densely hirsute-scaly beneath. Christensen refers to D. pilosa as a "very distinct species" belonging in Cheilanthes.

Brian Aikins

----- Original Message ----- From: "Winter, Wim de" <Wim.dewinter@wur.nl>