Re: Mycorrhiza

Good article on the symbiosis.  I think in conservatory settings here in the frozen tundra (OK I exaggerate) we sometimes take for granted the relationships that take place even in our mimicked tropical settings.

Let me throw this out for comments.  My volunteer began doing something that seemed odd to some at the time, I being one for experimentation and curiosity watched for a bit.  She began supplementing the feeding cycle with a once a month 'sugaring.'  It is just what it sounds like, adding sugar to the water to feed the ferns.  What was noticed was a definite pick up in the growth of some of the buggers.  My theory is this has nothing to do with the ferns directly but feeds the soil fauna.  Anyone else take any measures on fortifying the little buggers in the soil in this kind of setting?

Steven J. Royer, MS
Special Projects Manager
Fernwood Botanical Garden & Nature Preserve
269/695-6491 x 212