Re: Mycorrhiza

Let me throw this out for comments. My volunteer began doing something that seemed odd to some at the time, I being one for experimentation and curiosity watched for a bit. She began supplementing the feeding cycle with a once a month 'sugaring.' It is just what it sounds like, adding sugar to the water to feed the ferns. What was noticed was a definite pick up in the growth of some of the buggers. My theory is this has nothing to do with the ferns directly but feeds the soil fauna. Anyone else take any measures on fortifying the little buggers in the soil in this kind of setting?
I kept alive some Lady Slippers with a sugar water supplement that only fed the Mycorrhiza. Lost them eventually because ants appreciated the sugar solution (they were outside). I think the defect in the Lady Slippers has to do with sugar metabolism. I'm going to feed my ferns that are just sitting there and see what happens. Nancy