Re: Pteris cretica

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Pteris cretica
  • From: "Dave Skinner" skinnerd@nettally.com
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 22:10:31 -0500

I don't really know a whole lot about this, but will throw in my $.02.  I have had
Pteris cretica volunteer for me at a great distance from the mother plants, in
locations that I doubt the spores would have been disbursed by wind or rain.  It has
actually occured to me that they might have been spread by sticking to my gloves or
clothes.  Since Florida Caverns area has been a popular tourist area for many years,
is it not possible that someone unintentionally brought it there?  The spores must be
particularly viable and well suited for growth in this climate (I am only 50 miles
from there).

Also, for what it's worth....  Andre Clewell's well documented Guide to the Vascular
Plants of the Florida Panhandle has the following listing for Pteris cretica:

"Limestone outcrops in hammocks.  [Counties] Jackson, Gadsden, Liberty.  Introduced
from the Old World tropics."  Florida Caverns is in Jackson County.

He also lists Pteris multifida and Pteris vittata in the Florida panhandle with the
latter also naturalized from Old World tropics.

Dave Skinner - skinnerd@nettally.com or Dave@GingersRus.com
Le Jardin Ombragi, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
  Main Website  http://www.nettally.com/skinnerd/ombrage.html
  Ginger Website http://www.nettally.com/skinnerd/gingers.htm
  eBay Listings  http://www.GingersRus.com