Pteris cretica

  • Subject: [ferns] Pteris cretica
  • From: "Rollins" willows@rose.net
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 18:46:04 -0800

Hope it is not too late to be replying to this query.
J. K. Small in his Ferns of the Southeastern States, says that Pteris cretica
(L.) was first collected in Florida by J.L. Blodgett abt. 1838.  He also says
that it was still found growing at Aspalaga Bluff in 1936 (where ever that
is?).  How does one go about determining if a species is native or not?  I
have recently found Pteris vittata (L.) growing in an old limestone quarry
here in Southwest Georgia.  It was probably 50 miles north of FL line.  It is
not native yet it got here somehow.  The quarry is now closed but it hasn't
been too many years since it was in operation.  I very much doubt that someone
transplanted the fern to the area.  Any one got any ideas as to how far a fern
spore can travel, say in a hurricane?
If say, a fern spore came over with Columbus on one of his voyages and it
survived and prospered would we know this and could we consider it a native?
James A. Rollins
willows@rose.net
http://home.rose.net/~willows