Re: FERNS: Ferns as undesirable plants

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] FERNS: Ferns as undesirable plants
  • From: Regferns@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:48:47 EST

Sadly, even in South Florida, we too have ferns that are considered
problematic.  Recently, Tectaria incisa was listed as an invasive plant, although it is
a native species here.  I regard Tectaria incisa as one of the prettiest
ferns, but under *perfect* conditions, the plant thrives and comes up everywhere.

Orchid growers in the area hate, with a passion, Phlebodium aureum (the
Golden Polypody).  Another nuisance fern here is Pteris vitatta.  The saying about
"one man's treasure is another man's junk" is unfortunately a truism.  I
suppose, plants become weedy and invasive when the habitat is too perfect; think
Angiopteris evecta in Hawaii.  We can enjoy them in South Florida because we
alas, don't live in Paradise. (But wouldn't it be great if they did spring up

Reggie Whitehead
South Miami, FL