Re: ferns DIGEST V1 #15

  • Subject: [ferns] Re: ferns DIGEST V1 #15
  • From: "Scott L Hadley" <plantman@midmaine.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:15:13 -0500

> I thought I'd mention that ferns are not always regarded as desirable
> everywhere.
> In New Zealand, as probably elsewhere, there is an Act of Parliament ( ie,
> Law)  and Unwanted Organisms or Notifiable Organisms under the
> Biosecurity Act (1993) are listed

Osmundas as invaders is a difficult idea for me. I know of none which
readily reproduce asexually, and even their peculiar type of spore, so
short-lived, precludes rapid sexual reproduction. I realize Osmunda regalis
is extremely large as an individual where it is happy, which here in Maine
is along certain quiet coves off our lakes.

The Matteuchias (ostrich fern) with which many folks confuse certain
Osmundas, are much more aggressive colonizers of rich, moist areas.

Scott L. Hadley