undesirable ferns

  • Subject: [ferns] undesirable ferns
  • From: "ferns" <ferns@fernfactor.co.nz>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 11:33:40 +1300

Hello fern folks

In regards to Scott Hadley finding it difficult to understand Osmunda
regalis as an undesirable fern I would like to add:
Here in New Zealand many of the exotic plants become weeds. This is due to
the often more vigorous nature of there growth here in NZ. Many of these
weeds are fine in other countries but placed here with our climate they grow
many times faster than other parts of the world.
Another fern that I have seen here in NZ that should be listed is the Male
Fern, Dryopteris felix mas.
Our flora & fauna here in NZ is so unique & when one sees species as does
the male Fern aggressively getting hold in native forest systems, one
realizes how fragile systems can be.
We as wholesale fern growers ofen struggle with what exotic species to grow
& what not to grow as it takes many years down the track to actually know if
some species will become weeds & by that time it is ofen to late.
Regards
Paul Michael
Fern Factor
NZ