( Ferns) Some more legal stuff

  • Subject: [ferns] ( Ferns) Some more legal stuff
  • From: "Brian Swale" <bj@caverock.net.nz>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:25:40 +1300

Hello everybody,

Sorry to mention legal stuff again.

Over the last few weeks the case of two Czech enthusiasts of orchids who
were caught as they were about to leave New Zealand on an airplane, and
had many small live NZ orchids in their baggage as well as about 300 dried
pressed plants for herbarium specimens, has hit the news. They were
prosecuted and fined - in my opinion - rather heavily.

Unfortunately, the web-pages are much shorter than the newspaper page of

Here are several URLs that cover the case. There may be some repetition in
these.  I mention this case to warn you about what may occur, if collection is
done carelessly here. Of course, the same could happen to me if I collect
ferns in the *wrong* places.

The legal organisations are becoming better organised.

Brian Swale