Re: Gleichenia

I have heard that a fern in the Gleicheniaceae was grown at RBG Kew in a special bracken-peat substrate. Apparently, these ferns are very particular about substrate and quite sensitive to nutrient levels (which should be very low). Christopher Page mentions efforts to cultivate Gleicheniaceae ferns in his article "Adaptive ancientness of vascular plants to exploitation of low-nutrient substrates -- a neobotanical overview" in The Evolution of Plant Physiology: From Whole Plants to Ecosystems":

Unfortunately, I don't have my copy of that article handy, but will share more if I can track it down.

I think that inorganic substrates, such as those used in hydroponics, might be promising for the Gleicheniaceae, but I don't know whether there have been any attempts to grow them in such substrates.

- Chad Husby
Miami, FL