Re: Gleichenia

Tom:

Greetings from South Africa.  The ferns here are simply amazing including
several species also native in the US including Adiantum c-v.  We have
found Gleichenia in several locations, but the highest so far is just over
3,000' elevation.  This should be a Zone 8 climate, although many ferns
tend to tolerate more cold than their climate would indicate. Very little
of it is in spore, but with some luck, we will have an answer to your
question soon.  It is one of the only ferns that I've seen with a
silvery-white spore.

> Does anyone have experience with growing the forking ferns from spore?
>
> The "Fern Grower's Manual" has an entry on the family Gleicheniaceae
> calling it
> difficult, slow. The smaller Gleichenia are said to be cultivated in New
> Zealand and Australia.
>
> In habitat Gleichenia umbraculifera does not look difficult at all. It
> grows
> streamside or in damp meadows, competing easily with the grasses, at
> moderate
> elevations, 1000-2000 m, in Kwazulu Natal, South Africa, in neighboring
> provinces, and in Zimbabwe. It is one of the smaller members of the genus,
> topping out at 50-60 cm. The habitat at the higher end of its elevational
> range
> is probably Zone 8.
>
> I ask because the spore is greenish-yellow and green spore are commonly
> said to
> have short viability. Perhaps more pertinent than color, the family is
> considered relatively primitive based upon the sporangial structure; some
> primitive ferns, such as Osmunda, have short life. Has anyone grown
> Gleichenia
> from stored spore?
>
> Tom Stuart, New York

Tony Avent
USDA Zone 7b, (0-10F winter, 90-100F Summer)
Plant Delights Nursery
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, NC  27603, USA
ph 919.772.4794
fx 919.772.4752

"I consider every plant hardy until I've killed it myself...at least three
times."  - Avent