Fern from New Guinea

  • Subject: [ferns] Fern from New Guinea
  • From: "Brian Swale" bj@caverock.net.nz
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 12:56:00 +1300

Hello all,

Fern net reaches far and wide, I am happy to report.

And I apologise for using incorrect spelling for the genus on the web-page I
put up. It seems that I have the incorrect spelling hard-wired into my brain
from a long way back. Spelling now corrected.

I asked a couple of eminent fern people in Australia, but have not had a
response yet.

In the meantime, courtesy the request being passed on by a well-known fern
author and enthusiast (thank you Dr Hoshizaki), Dr Barbara Parris (now
resident in New Zealand) wrote to me and has just advised as follows:-

> I've gone through the relevant treatment in Flora Malesiana and the best
> guess is Microsorum rampans (Baker) Parris. Its quite common at low
> altitudes in New Guinea. If I had pressed material it would be easier to ID, but
> getting herbarium material through to non-institutional herbaria in NZ is now
> pretty fraught thanks to MAF. If your enquirer sent some pressed material to
> Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew for the attention of Peter Edwards in the herbarium
> they could get another learned opinion.

The reference to MAF is about Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, and the
stringent measures they take to keep diseases and weeds out of New
Zealand, through interception at the national border - be it mail, air, or sea.

The reference on my CD is as follows:

Microsorum rampans (Baker) Parris; Kew Bull. 41(1): 70 (1986)
                Distribution [complete]: Admiralty Isl., New Guinea.

So far this is the last word on the topic !!

Thanks to all for interest taken and help given.

Brian Swale