Re: Request for help in identifying a fern

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Request for help in identifying a fern
  • From: Regferns@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 08:53:02 EST

I've checked Flora Malesiana Volume 3 1998 Ferns and Fern Allies, I am
having difficulty keying this plant.  There are a few PNG Microsorum  listed.  The
closest I come is Microsorum linguiforme (also from New  Guinea), however, the
raised sori presents a problem.  Most of the other  characteristics
(venation, sori pattern, shape of frond),  in the photos  are helpful.  However, it
would be good to know the approximate length and  width of the fronds, what the
rhizome looks like, and if there are any type of  hairs around the sori.
10 years ago, Barbara Hoshizaki introduced Microsorum linguiforme to  growers
in South Florida, and I've seen lots of variation, particularly with  regards
to size of the fronds, however, sori are not sunken/raised.  Thanks  for the
opportunity to see an interesting 'new' fern from PNG
Reggie  Whitehead
South Miami, Florida