Re: isoetes and huperzia

Hi Lizzy,

I've only had my Huperzia selago since last summer, but I have had Lycopodium clavatum, L. annotinum and L. complanatum for several years. My Isoetes experiment failed, but I have a few ideas on what I'll try next time I find a plant or two.

My Lycopodiums and my Huperiza were all collected on forestry clear cuts, on a friend's property in central Sweden. The ground was very disturbed, so it was just a matter of filling a plastic bag with bits of moss, soil and lycopod (digging or pulling up of lycopods is not allowed here, though collection of the branches for non-commercial purposes is okay). Back home I planted into separate plastic buckets filled with a mixture of clay aggregate, composted bark chips, sphagnum moss and the bits and pieces of soil + moss that I collected. I figured that it would give mycorrhiza a good chance.

Since them I've kept the buckets watered, weeded, out of direct sunlight and under cover during the winter. L. complanatum is holding its own, the rest are thriving. Though it's probably a bit early to say with the H. selago.

Cheers, John.