Re: isoetes and huperzia

Hello Lizzy
  I have only had experience of growing Isoetes lacustris but it is very easy to propagate and cultivate.
  I grew it in plastic aquarium tanks which were kept outside in full sun. The tanks had about 50mm of ordinary soil in the bottom and the tanks were filled with raion water. The depth of the tank was about 30cm.
  I simply pushed the Isoetes plants into the mud and left it at that. Keep the tanks topped up with rain water and they looked after themselves.
  I propagated Isoetes by carefully peeling away mature quills and inserted them in the mud like cuttings. They quickly rooted and produced plants.
  I seem to recall being told that only plants from Lake Windermere, Cumbria, UK could be propagated in this fashion............but I am happy to be proved wrong.
  Matt Busby

John Hawkins <john.hawkins@blechnum.net> wrote:
  Hi Lizzy,

I've only had my Huperzia selago since last summer, but I have had Lycopodium clavatum, L. annotinum and L. complanatum for several years. My Isoetes experiment failed, but I have a few ideas on what I'll try next time I find a plant or two.

My Lycopodiums and my Huperiza were all collected on forestry clear cuts, on a friend's property in central Sweden. The ground was very disturbed, so it was just a matter of filling a plastic bag with bits of moss, soil and lycopod (digging or pulling up of lycopods is not allowed here, though collection of the branches for non-commercial purposes is okay). Back home I planted into separate plastic buckets filled with a mixture of clay aggregate, composted bark chips, sphagnum moss and the bits and pieces of soil + moss that I collected. I figured that it would give mycorrhiza a good chance.

Since them I've kept the buckets watered, weeded, out of direct sunlight and under cover during the winter. L. complanatum is holding its own, the rest are thriving. Though it's probably a bit early to say with the H. selago.

Cheers, John.