Re: Scale infestation on Davallia and Nephrolepis ferns

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Scale infestation on Davallia and Nephrolepis ferns
  • From: Duane Petersen dpetersen11@cox.net
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:45:05 -0600

Orthene wettable powder works well on scale because it is absorbed by the plant and kills the scale as it feeds. I use a tablespoon per gallon. It is usually available at feed and seed stores or stores catering to farmers. It smells like crazy in the can, but when mixed with water it is much better smelling (relative of course). Put it on every week for about 3 weeks, and then about once a month. I have, out of desperation used the following treatment to kill the mama scales that live underground and send out generations of little children. One tablespoon of ivory soap (watch out as the dishwashing liquid is, I hear, now a detergent formula) and one tablespoon of malation 50 (xylene carrier instead of petroleum). This is mixed with a gallon of water and then I cut off most of the foliage and then soak the plants out of the pot in this mix. This will damage your ferns, but should not kill davallia and nephrolepis. Don't use this on maidenhairs unless you like going to plant funerals. D. Petersen

Mary Gorton wrote:

I have scale on my Davallia and Nephrolepis ferns.  Does anyone know how I can
get rid of them without killing my ferns?  Thanks.

Mary Gorton
Delaware USA

http://www.hort.net/funds/