National Tropical Botanical Garden

  • Subject: [ferns] National Tropical Botanical Garden
  • From: Catharine Guiles cguiles@maine.rr.com
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:46:14 -0500

Hi, Fernet friends,
Recently, my attention was drawn to a U.S. organization unknown to me, the National Tropical Botanical Garden. It's headquarters are in Hawaii, and it has gardens on the island of Kauai and in Florida. It's web site is www.ntbg.org.
When I checked their plant list for ferns, they offered me three!!! Microlepia strigosa, Phymatosorus grossus, and Sadleria cyatheoides. As one of their goals is the protection and cultivation of endangered species, this organization should be of interest to us. Are any of you members of it? If so, what is your experience with it?
At various times, I have contributed to two other tropical gardens in the U.S., the Fairchild Garden, near Miami, FL, and the Selby Garden, in Sarasota, FL. Now, I have an appeal from this organization on my desk. I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have on the work of its staff.
Thank you,
Catharine Guiles
(New Gloucester, ME - snow on the ground; ferns sleeping for the winter)