Re: Cystopteris

> I assume that your C. fragilis is the same as the UK taxa also is
> there a name for the hybrid between C. fragilis and C. tenuis.
> Futher information on Americamn Cystopteris would be most appreciated.

Mike, discussion of hybridization can be found in the Flora of North America
treatment for Cystopteris,

One quote from there:

> Cystopteris is a taxonomically difficult genus at the species level.
> Especially troublesome is the worldwide and polymorphic species C .
> fragilis sensu lato. To maintain it as a single species with several
> varieties would be easiest (and least controversial). This approach,
> however, may not accurately reflect true evolutionary history.
So it's tough. There's more on hybridization at the FNA link to C. tenuis.
Further discussion can be found in the 1963 monograph of the genus by Blasdell,
cited there. That monograph lumps C. dickieana with fragilis, currently not
viewed with great favor or favour.

C. fragilis x tenuis is sterile, so the current rules do not warrant a separate
name. C. tenuis has also been called C. fragilis var. mackayii.

Tony, there should usually be variation with non-apogamous fertile hybrids, but
I am a beginner; there must be many here who can address this with more

Tom Stuart