NY Fern Society February Meeting

  • Subject: [ferns] NY Fern Society February Meeting
  • From: Ross Koning rkoning@snet.net
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:35:19 -0500

Robbin Moran posted the following message which bounced due to a subscription
situation. In any case I felt that it was pertinent for our group and so I'm forwarding
it on for those of you who might be in/near NYC on Feb 5....

ross (list-dad)

Begin forwarded message:

NOTE: Visitors to NYC are welcome to the meetings.
Speakers are welcome. Kindly contact e-mail address below

For subway travel instructions kindly contact: cle11104@att.net privately

Dear members and friends,
At the January 8 meeting, the main program was about the ferns of the La Selva Biological Station in Costa Rica, one of the worlds most famous tropical research stations. John Mickel showed slides of what the station was like in 1968 when he visited there after it had just started being developed. I talked about what the stations is like nowadays and some of the unusual ferns there. It felt good to think about warmer climes this time of year!

Several members brought terrific show-and-tell items. Tom Stuart had two epiphytic ferns, a Pyrrosia and an laphoglossum, and told us about their identification and cultivation. Rose Marie Schieber passed around some fossil ferns from Pennsylvania, and Elizabeth Griggs showed some gorgeous red-petioled lady ferns she had grown from spores we gave her at one our meetings in 2003. After the meeting, Elizabeth sold the ferns with the money going to the Fern Society-thank you Elizabeth!

If you have any suggestions about places to go for this years field trips, please write to Catherine Allen (callen150@juno.com). She welcomes your input!

Our next meeting, February 5, will be at the usual time and place:
10 a.m. - 1 pm at the 4th floor herbarium area; bring a sandwich. John Mickel will present The Ferns of Mexico - The Rest of the Story. This isnt about the book itself but about the collecting and other behind-the-scenes aspects of floristic research.

Last call for 2005 dues! They remain at $10 and are to be paid by January 31 to remain on the membership list. Checks should be made payable to The New York Botanical Garden and sent to John Mickel. Remember: in case there is bad weather and you are not sure if the meeting will be held, call Garden Security at the Mosholu Gate (718-817-8617). If the meeting has been cancelled, John or I will alert Security by 8 oclock that morning.

Looking forward to seeing you at the February meeting!

Robbin Moran
Chapter President