New York Fern Society meeting schedule/information

  • Subject: [ferns] New York Fern Society meeting schedule/information
  • From: "chris ed" cle11104@hotmail.com
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:07:58 -0500

NOTE: Visitors to NYC (& For subway travel instructions) are most welcome to the meetings.
Speakers are welcome. Kindly contact e-mail address: cle11104@att.net privately

Dear members and friends,
At the January 8 meeting, the main program was about the ferns of the La Selva Biological Station in Costa Rica, one of the worlds most famous tropical research stations. John Mickel showed slides of what the station was like in 1968 when he visited there after it had just started being developed. I talked about what the stations is like nowadays and some of the unusual ferns there. It felt good to think about warmer climes this time of year!

Several members brought terrific show-and-tell items. Tom Stuart had two epiphytic ferns, a Pyrrosia and an laphoglossum, and told us about their identification and cultivation. Rose Marie Schieber passed around some fossil ferns from Pennsylvania, and Elizabeth Griggs showed some gorgeous red-petioled lady ferns she had grown from spores we gave her at one our meetings in 2003. After the meeting, Elizabeth sold the ferns with the money going to the Fern Society-thank you Elizabeth!

If you have any suggestions about places to go for this years field trips, please write to Catherine Allen (callen150@juno.com). She welcomes your input!

Our next meeting, February 5, will be at the usual time and place:
10 a.m. - 1 pm at the 4th floor herbarium area; bring a sandwich. John Mickel will present The Ferns of Mexico - The Rest of the Story. This isnt about the book itself but about the collecting and other behind-the-scenes aspects of floristic research.

Last call for 2005 dues! They remain at $10 and are to be paid by January 31 to remain on the membership list. Checks should be made payable to The New York Botanical Garden and sent to John Mickel. Remember: in case there is bad weather and you are not sure if the meeting will be held, call Garden Security at the Mosholu Gate (718-817-8617). If the meeting has been cancelled, John or I will alerted Security by 8 oclock that morning.

Looking forward to seeing you at the February meeting!

Robbin Moran
Chapter President

Dont just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/