Re: Angiopteris

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Angiopteris
  • From: Regferns@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 07:51:59 EST

Regarding growing Angiopteris from auricles (or stipules), this has been my
most successful way to propagate these plants.  However, you have to have  an
Angiopteris to begin with, or someone can send you a  auricle.  Auricle
propagation can be tricky.  I have had viable  plants arise after only 6 months.  My
method is to remove the auricle  from a mature plant and place it in a tray
with a mixture of peat and  lots  of perlite to facilitate good drainage (the
auricle will rot if kept too  wet).  This tray is placed in an area where it
gets daily watering, light  and warmth.  As I mentioned earlier, I have gotten
results as early as six  months.  The longest has been a year.  While growing
an Angiopteris  this way is easy and less time consuming, you don't get as many
plants this  way. The most I've ever gotten out of a stipule is three plants.
Last week  I had to remove a full sized Angiopteris from its auricle (because
I had  ignored it for a couple of years), and found that the roots had grown
laterally  in the tray, some roots had penetrated the ground.  There were
three plants  on this auricle:  a four footer, one about 2 feet and a smaller
plant about  10 inches.
Reggie Whitehead
South Miami, Florida