Re: Fighting the fuzz

  • Subject: Re: Fighting the fuzz
  • From: bkhamilton <bkhamilton@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:50:07 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,
     I think it worth mentioning that there is a very mobile crawler stage of the mealy bug. It can be carried from plant to plant on your hands (and perhaps clothing), so it is best not to be handling infected plants and then going to uninfected ones.  Also, scale can hide in the soil around fern roots.  Scale are not necessarily susceptible to cold temps.  I was once shocked to observe fully grown and crawler stages springing to life on plant material freshly collected form under a snow bank in midwinter!!!  It was pretty horrifying!

Betty in South Bend IN where it is
sunny, mid 20's, and perhaps 3" snow on the ground.