Pteris umbrosa in New Zealand

  • Subject: Pteris umbrosa in New Zealand
  • From: "Brian Swale" <bj@caverock.net.nz>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:14:52 +1300

For what it's worth, I can now report another site where Pteris umbrosa is
growing in the wild in New Zealand.  P. umbrosa is native to Australia.

Today I discovered it growing in the Botanical Gardens of the regional city
Christchurch.  A long way from Hawkes Bay which has the only other wild
occurrence that I'm aware of in this country.

I practically tripped over the darned plant; much bigger and more robust
than the one I have indoors here. For it to be where it is and as large as it is,
means that it must be able to happily survive frosts of at least 5 deg C in

I'll post pictures some time in the near future.

Brian Swale. Daytime phone  03 326 7447
3/7 Menzies Street, Sumner, Christchurch 8081