RE: Sterilizing spore & agar as a growth medium.

  • Subject: RE: Sterilizing spore & agar as a growth medium.
  • From: "fern factor ltd" <ferns@fernfactor.co.nz>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 15:36:42 +1300

I agree with the others.
If not wonting to move into a micro-propogated  based system no need to
sterilize & sow spore on agar.
Main thing is to get good clean viable spore.

One thing we do now is access whether the spore is viable before we continue
with a particular batch. We use a 1/2 M&S media made into a liquid & then
dispensed into 10ml test tubes that are sterile & are clear plastic.

Make sure you clean the spore well which we do  by two processes. When you
have spore & casings etc, tip all this onto  smooth paper A4 sheet  & tap
back & forth[ we use fax paper]. You'll see the spore seperating & carefully
tap the casings off leaving relatively pure spore. We find the Cyathea with
the yellow spore difficult to separate but carefull back & forth you'll get
to learn how to separate. Then we put this into a small jar & cover with
camera lens cleaning tissue[held in place with small rubber band]. Flip this
upside down & tap jar with pen over clean paper. Slowly spore will come thru
leaving further casings in jar. Now we have clean spore to deal with.

Take a small pinch of this clean spore with sterile scalpel & tap over media
surface in test tube. Scew lid on-mark date name & put in growth room.
Generally after 2-6 weeks you'll see whether this is viable spore as it'll
become green & prothallus will start forming.

Once accessed it is viable we then move  onto the next operation. Ie either
sterilize & onto media or sow onto peat based mixes.

Fern Factor ltd