Austral Gem

  • Subject: Austral Gem
  • From: Duane Petersen <dpetersen11@cox.net>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:15:01 -0600

The fern in the picture is the same as the Austral Gem sold by Casa Flora. It is listed as asplenium dimorphum x difforme "Astral Gem" in their catalogue. I raised about 80 of these last year. They love the heat (over 100 degrees does not bother them) I have taken one down to 35degrees...no problem. Humidity or lack of the same doesn't bother them. They do like to be kept moist. Here in Kansas I raise them in 70 % peat moss and 30% perlite. The only problem I have had is some cases of sunburn when they are placed outside in too much sunlight. Dappled shade does beautifully. My 4" pots developed into beautiful full 8" pots in about 2-3 months. They have maintained themselves beautifully in the greenhouse over winter with very little loss and then it is only the older fronds. Duane Petersen
                          Ferns & Foliage
                           Wichita, KS