Re: artificial trees

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] artificial trees
  • From: "Donna McGraw" donnamcg@swbell.net
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 08:47:29 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "carol noel" <carolnoel2000@hotmail.com>
To: <ferns@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 12:08 AM

> I AM sorry...but could you repeat your description of how this tree was
> "constructed" ?
>
> Much appreciated!!!

Carol and the rest of you who want more specifics - Monty talked to one of
the volunteers who helped construct the "trees" so we'd know exactly how to
do it.  They used different widths of pvc pipe and joined them together with
the regular pvc joints.  The very bottom of the pipes are set in concrete
for stability - then they just started building up the pipes and angled
joints until they had a tree shape.  I don't know if you can see details
enough but they have several of these not just one "tree".  The upper most
limb is supported by a wire suspended from the rafters of the greenhouse.
Some of the lower parts of the limbs are supported by a pipe coming up from
the ground.  Once you get the bark attached I imagine it's fairly heavy - at
the very least I'm sure they don't want it toppling over on some
unsuspecting visitor.  The bark was wrapped around the pipe - sometimes in
multiple layers - and secured with long screws.  If you look closely you can
see the screws in the picture that shows the end of a limb.  Most of the
ends of the limbs were covered with bark, so we had to search for one that
showed the actual construction.  One question I don't know the answer to but
Monty might is whether they heated the pipes to give them that natural
looking bend or if the weight of the bark and plants did it for them.

Does anyone know where we can get an "eighteen wheeler" full of cork bark?

If anyone has any more questions, I'll try to answer them.

Donna