Re: Mounting Platyceriums

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Mounting Platyceriums
  • From: Keith Rogers <kerogers@iprimus.com.au>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 21:32:38 +0930

 Hi Julia

The middle of the pot will have no roots at all.  Their roots, like
almost all plants, love the warmth and moisture on the outer edges and
only grow there.

Just push your fingers into the bottom and pull the roots apart with two
hands.  Care full not to damage the bud and fronds.

Redman, Julia wrote:

  Hey thanks Keith.
  I had a superbum once that I mounted on a large Styrofoam plaque with
  sphagnum (an idea I probably got from you some time ago), but it
  languished and croaked.  I don't know if maybe it just didn't get enough
  moisture in my apartment.  I put mine in a whole I made in the plaque.
  Having never seen a freshly mounted platycerium, I didn't know where the
  root ball wet-silly as that sounds.
  I'm working with another superbum now, currently growing in a 4 inch
  pot.  (I'd like to not kill this one.)  The root mass seems pretty
  dense.  Can you really just pull it apart or do you cut it?
  I live in a house now, and have access to a very moist basement where I
  grow orchids under artificial light and a nice screened in porch (for
  summer growing only here in MD).