Re: Charcoal

Hi Guys

To my very limited knowledge, charcoal is manufactured near here, is almost local Mallee hardwood burnt in a hole and smothered without oxygen. It comes in many grades based on size. It is real expensive.

It has many uses, even medicinal.

I use it in potting mix to help remove toxins and hold moisture.

Therefore there may be many forms because of the available timber in various places in the world.

Jan Carr wrote:
Hi everyone,

We have been using charcoal for years and use the ash and left over burnt
wood and put it in a bag and smash it with the spade till the disired
size is reached. We have allways used wood from a fire that has been
started with a piece of paper and kindling, don't trust the charcoal that
you buy in shops.

Kind regards

<willows@rose.net> >Reply-To: ferns@hort.net >To: <ferns@hort.net>

Subject: Re: [ferns] Charcoal >Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 17:58:41 -0400 >
It's horticultural charcoal. I wouldn't use the charcoal briquetts use

for >grilling they probably have harmful chemicals in them. >James A. Rollins > >----- Original Message ----- >From: Doret Vermeulen >To: ferns@hort.net >Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 9:28 AM >Subject: [ferns] Charcoal > > >Hi, > >Just wanted to ask if a book says uses one part charcoal in a planting mix >what charcoal are they talking about? Are they talking about the ordinary >charcoal one uses to start a fire? >

Sorry if it is a stupid question but here we are still a bit behind the

rest >of the world and I was always intrueged as to what charcoal they are >referring >to. > >Greetings from Namibia >Doret >