Re: Japanese painted lady fern

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Japanese painted lady fern
  • From: "Judith I Jones" <judith@fancyfronds.com>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:55:36 -0700

Hello John,
    If you do locate the supposed named japanese fern cultivars I would be
interested to hear if they are truly different.  The one that has been put
on the market from Thurman Maness "Wilwood Twist' is supposed to be a
niponicum 'Pictum' cross with A. otophorum.  This is highly dubious and the
plant shows no signs of a hybrid character at all-in fact it just looks like
a slightly greener normal form of 'Pictum' variation.  There seems to be
plethroa of expensive named forms that once they are dropped into a normal
spore lot don't look distinctive at all.  Producing nicely colored forms by
tissue culture is certainly a nice idea for continuity however what I have
found is that the tissue culuture crops still have some variation in them as
spore grown crops.  Tissue culture crops of Athyrium filix-femina cultivars
exhibit as much reversion and bad material as spore grown crops do.
Judith I. Jones