Re: Japanese painted lady fern

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Japanese painted lady fern
  • From: Johnscott302@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:17:40 EDT

In a message dated 7/12/2004 8:39:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
judith@fancyfronds.com writes:
    If you do locate the supposed named japanese fern cultivars I would be
interested to hear if they are truly different.  The one that has been put
on the market from Thurman Maness "Wilwood Twist' is supposed to be a
niponicum 'Pictum' cross with A. otophorum.  This is highly dubious and the
plant shows no signs of a hybrid character at all-in fact it just looks like
a slightly greener normal form of 'Pictum' variation.  There seems to be
plethroa of expensive named forms that once they are dropped into a normal
spore lot don't look distinctive at all.  Producing nicely colored forms by
tissue culture is certainly a nice idea for continuity however what I have
found is that the tissue culuture crops still have some variation in them as
spore grown crops.  Tissue culture crops of Athyrium filix-femina cultivars
exhibit as much reversion and bad material as spore grown crops do.
Judith I. Jones
Hi Judith,
I have Wildwood Twist which is as far as I can tell a new introduction. Mine
has no 'twist' like the photo of it.
It was not one of Thurman's original offerings. Several people as well as
myself have tried to contact him over the last 5-10 years to no avail. Someone
said he is dead, another said he is nuts and does answer mail. At anyrate I'd
like to now if any of his original material is still available.

Unfortunately the neatest fern died. It was the Woodland Primeval which
looked the A. ff. frizelliae.

Now I have almost 20 named forms most with little difference.

If I can locate any most I appreciate any help.
I'm would like to do an article in color is possible. maybe for BPS.

I also have not been pleased with tissue culture.
The only good one so far is D. xaustralis.

Regards,
John Scott
PA zone 5.5