Re: Athyrium nipponicum varieties

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Athyrium nipponicum varieties
  • From: Sue Olsen <foliageg@juno.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:35:19 -0700

Hi Matt,
The Athyrium niponicum 'Pictum' "named cultivars" are multiplying
rapidly. Applecourt is from Applecourt Nursery in Britain and is a
crested variety. I'm not familiar with Soul Mate. Red Beauty is also
supposed to be a selection from Britain. Silver Falls, Pewter Lace and
Burgundy Lace are coming out of tissue culture in Portland, OR. Wildwood
Twist being distributed by the same company was a selection from Thurman
Maness and originally promoted as having fronds that twist. (Mine never
did). It is now listed as a hybrid between A. niponicum and A. otophorum
as Judith mentioned. Finally 'Ursula's Red' was a selection from Ursula
Herz of Coastal Gardens Nursery in South Carolina. It too is coming from
the same tissue culture lab. I'm very much in agreement with those who
believe there is very little difference (aside from Applecourt) between
them all. I am glad to have this discussion going, however. Meanwhile,
Matt it will be interesting to see how they do for you.
Sue Olsen