Re: Athyrium nipponicum varieties

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Athyrium nipponicum varieties
  • From: Kyle799706@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:55:31 -0400

Matt...
  The only three varieties i'm familiar with are "Silver Falls' "Ursulas Red" and "Apple Court" I believe my place of work purchased them from either Spring Meadow Nurseries or Terra Nova(Dan Heims)...we had poor success here in Maine with Silver Falls several Years ago...Two years ago we grew "Ursuals Red" and sold every last one....and last year we tried growing "Apple Court" a seriously inferior plant in my view...extremely small..extremely slow growing and at least half in the garden and in containers in coldframes were lost...granted we'd the worst winter in 20 years....they should have done better in cold frames...we're currently readjusting our potting mix to include significant amounts of perlite...and we're starting to see better results...also we've come to discover that if Athyriums in general whilst in the care of the grower dry out the least bit.....it is devastating...setting them back severely and resulting in losses.

Kyle Fletcher-Baker, Maine Certified Nurseryman
Grower, Plainview Farm, North Yarmouth, Maine