Re: in which month fertile horsetails are found?

 What would happen if the frost is still out there when the horsetails
are ready to produce their coning stems? The bud's been ready to burst
since the previous autumn, would it just wait until the temperatures
rise? We've got a quite clear idea about the dormancy cycles of trees,
but I don't know anything about ferns and horsetails.
By comparison, here in Holland the field horsetail is the second
pteridophyte to appear, after the great horsetail (E. telmateia ssp.
telmateia) and well before any fern unfurls (although this spring I had a
freak E. x littorale in februari...). Ferns were fresh but mosty fully
unrolled, in Bruce Peninsula where I saw the horsetail.

I have just seen teperature data from the region, that show that in March
it was still winter, freezing most of the days, but from the onset of
April it quickly warmed with but an occasional night frost. Not the kind
of whether to delay the growing season by two months.

(For the remainder: had a great time in Ontario with a wonderful trek
trough the wilderness of Algonquin, but not too many ferns, alas, but
that was compensated for by all the wild animals we met on the way).

Wim

bkhamilton wrote:

  Seems a little  late to me, but here in NW Indiana, we had a very mild, slow spring, and maybe there too? Are you having a good time in Canada?  Seeing lots of ferns?

  Betty in South Bend IN