Re: in which month fertile horsetails are found?

 That sounds more normal to me. Then the one I found last month would be
a rather southern occurence of ssp. boreale perhaps, which in the North
(Moose Factory at 52 degrees N) was coning enthousiatically. The whole
plant is rather small.

Tom Stuart wrote:

  Here in New York at latitude 41 deg. Equisetum arvense fertile fronds emerge in
  the third week of April and are followed several days later by the first of the
  sterile fronds. The overlap is short with fertile fronds senescing quickly.
  I've not noted the last fertile frond emergence date, but by May 1 they seem to
  be on the way out.

    I was surprised to find coning Field Horsetails (E. arvense) as late as
    June 22nd in the very South of Canada (latitude: 45 degrees North),
    being used to seeing them the first week of April (last of March,
    nowadays). Is this the normal time in the US/Canadian border region?
    Wim de Winter

  To sign-off this list, send email to   majordomo@hort.net   with the
  message text UNSUBSCRIBE FERNS