RE: Identification assistance needed....

  • Subject: RE: [ferns] Identification assistance needed....
  • From: "Keith Rogers" kerogers@iprimus.com.au
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 12:08:41 +0930

Hi Ann

I just realised I am still running on my old email address so no replies have
been getting through.  Fixed that.

That's Betty's Polypodium from South America. Found by an now unknown AFS
member about 20 years ago. The spore was sent to Jimmy Punter in South Africa
who sent some on to the late Betty Weaver here in South Australia.

Some stunning Polypodium that is, isn't it.  It will be the envy of all who
see it.

It could get to around 4 feet high with 2 ft stipes and is very top heavy.
It likes to be almost dry in winter and in a wire lined basket.

The pinnules when new are flattish, become distorted or somewhat crested then
flatten again.

As usual for a Polypodium they have buckets of spore, it looks funny at
collection time with a bag over the pinnule!!

The trick to get them growing and keep them going is to lessen the amount of
water, especially when cold as this is a 'typical tropical epiphyte' .

Heaton's here on Aust call it P. falax which is in error.

Kindest regards

Keith Rogers
Mannum  South Australia

Keith's Fern Page is at
www.lm.net.au/~kerogers/
Supporting the Fern Society of South Australia on
www.chariot.net.au/~saufern/