Re: Platycerium quadridichotomum

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Platycerium quadridichotomum
  • From: "Louwrens Opperman" opperla@lantic.net
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 20:12:50 +0200

Talking about P. quadridichotomum .............

It is the one species that I still cannot get figured out. I have all of
them except stemmaria and seem to be growing them without too many hassles,
BUT I wish it was the case with quadridichotomum.

They will start by making tens of new little pups and then for no apparent
reason they will all suddenly die off leaving only the mother plant alive.
It is not drought because I have them growing with all the others and they
are watered together. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Second scenario. I had a magnificent plant with 3 heads and they simply just
die off one by one making a few miserable pups while in the process of dying
............. with the end is that there is almost nothing left of the
plant. I fear that the pups will follow the route of the parent plants.

Do they need the dry period similar as in Nature to be happy? Is the 80%
humidity in the green house too high? Are they more susceptible to fungal
attacks as they normally come from a drier climate?

Please help me out with some advice and growing tips before I loose the lot.

If I manage to keep them alive I should have spore in Spring. (Sept / Nov)

Louwrens Opperman (Pretoria, South Africa)
now on the www with my Platycerium site at