Fw: Spores

  • Subject: [ferns] Fw: Spores
  • From: "Doret Vermeulen" <cfao@iway.na>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:49:43 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Doret Vermeulen
To: Ferns@Hort.Net
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 1:19 PM
Subject: Spores

Hi Everyone out there!

After a long silence I looked on Keith's fernpage how to subscribe again
because my e-mail address has changed and I did not know how to change it
again.

Today I am a very lucky lady and all smiles.  Maybe some of you still remember
that I asked for help in the search for Adiantums and almost everyone
suggested spores and I explained that I tried it with NO LUCK.  Well I kept
the spores I got from Keith and Val that I had already sown two years ago.
They went through a lot of endurances.  I finally took them after they were
stacked up for almost six months and decided to put them at the back of my
fern garden where no one could see them and also so that I can forget about
them.  I must say I really had NO hope for them at all.  As you see I am a bit
sceptic when it comes to stuff that takes months and like mine did 2 years to
show up.  I am very impatient.  But now I saw that patients can also work.  My
husband has been nagging at me for almost a year now to please throw away
these ugly bags with trays in it.  Yesterday I decided maybe he is right I can
just as well throw them away.  But my curiosity won again and I decided first
to look inside to see if MAYBE something have happened.  No luck with the
first bag I opened.  Then I opened the second bag and in three of the six
trays were teeny weeny small fernlets.  I screamed like a mad woman for my
husband to come and have a look.  He thought there was a snake the way I
screamed.  I could not believe my eyes.  In 20 of the 63 trays there were
signs of life.  Not much but at least something.  Then I must also tell you
that my dog search for lizards sometimes so some of the plastic bags had been
damaged and I found slugs inside so I guess they ate up the newlings.

I wish I had some one near to share all this ferny stuff with.

I wanted to know if there might be people out there who would be kind enough
to share Adiantum spore with me as they are my all time favourite but like I
explained like with most ferns really hard to come by.

I imported 5 stags from Rainforest flora in the USA in our currency it costed
me a fortune but I am so glad I finally ordered them for me.

As for the rest of my collection it goes very slowly in expanding sometimes I
feel very discouraged to continue but when stuff like yesterday happens it
gives me new hope although it will take much longer maybe I will have more
luck with spore.

If there are some one who can please give me expert advise on how to go about
with Adiantum spore I will be most greatfull.

You have to be a member to most societies to make use of their sporebank that
is why I thought you may be able to help me out.

Kindest regards from  NAMIBIA.  (AFRICA)
Doret