RE: Propagating Lycopodium cernuum

  • Subject: RE: [ferns] Propagating Lycopodium cernuum
  • From: "Winter, Wim de" Wim.dewinter@wur.nl
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 10:04:21 +0200

Keith,

With my only success with lycopods sofar, I didn't do anything more than this: I put a less than 4cm long top of H. squarrosa in a basket full of peat moss. Didn't even keep it moist (the ferns that now and then germinated on the basket dried to death), but I placed the basket over a permanent layer of (increasingly green and slimy) water. Now, after three years, it's still alive and definitely growing, though still unbranched.

I have tried several other species of Lycopodium, but they never survived or even grew, with exception of L. annotinum which I took with an exceptional large quantity of substrate, that even grew a bit before dying. The L. cernuas I also took with plenty substrate but to no avail. The difference between success and failure in my case seems to be the semi-enclodes container with permanently moist air.

Our climate is cool temperate.