Re: Microsorum

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Microsorum
  • From: Regferns@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 15:03:37 EDT

Bill,

The correct 'new' name is Microsorum thailandicum.  When the plant  came into
cultivation a few years ago, it was thought to be Microsorum  steerei. There
is an article in the Bangkok Post (August 26, 2002)  detailing the birth of
this 'new' species.  (I'd give a link, but I am  having trouble accessing the
information). Dr. Hans Nooteboom (National  Herbarium of the Netherlands) and
Dr. Thaweesakdi Boonkerd (Chulalongkom  University-Thaniland) described the
species in Blumea.  Bill, if you  are unable to access it through the Internet,  I
can send you a copy of the  article.  I downloaded it years ago and it keep
it nearby.

Reggie Whitehead
South Miami, FL